If you’re seeing a simple white screen show up on your WordPress powered website, you are witnessing the infamous WordPress White Screen of Death (WSOD). This can happen for a multitude of reasons; one of them being that you just fat fingered a piece of code in your functions.php file after following an online tutorial.
How to Fix WSOD
Our article does not go into the multitude of reasons for the WSOD. For that, please visit the official Codex website.
We’re here to help those that just read an online tutorial on how to customize WordPress by adding a snippet of code to their functions.php file.
Steps to Recovery
Since we’re assuming you just added a piece of code to your theme’s functions.php file you are going to need to have your FTP credentials handy.
- FTP to your website and download functions.php.
- Locate the source code you just entered into your functions.php file and delete it.
- FTP the file back up to your website.
- Refresh your website and you should be back online.
If the steps mentioned above didn’t fix your problem, revert to a backup of your website or contact me to help you get back online.
Steps to Avoid WSOD
Use a functionality plugin and make certain it contains a simple piece of code that will remove the ability to edit your theme files from the admin screens of WordPress. The piece of code is shown below and is found in the functionality plugin of every website I’ve built.
Plugins to Edit Theme & Plugin Files
- As mentioned above, you can fat finger a piece of code and encounter the WSOD.
- It’s a security risk. If someone was to gain access to your WordPress control panel they could then begin editing your website to their heart’s content.
I hope the steps above helped you fix your WordPress White Screen of Death. If it didn’t and you need help, please contact me. And please, do not make edits to your theme files or plugins within your WordPress admin dashboard. It’s the #1 method to prevent the WordPress White Screen of Death from ever happening.The article WordPress White Screen of Death appeared first on RickRDuncan.com. It was published on and was last updated .