For the majority of websites, a simple contact form that asks for name, email address and message is all that’s needed.
Say hello to another plugin from my collection of EZ Plugins for WordPress. I call it EZ Cform.
EZ Cform is probably the most lightweight contact form building plugin available for WordPress. Version 1.0.0 comes in at less than 300 lines of code. That includes comments!
Why Another Plugin to Build a Contact Form?
Simply put, I was tired of the bloat in today’s most popular contact form plugins. Bloat in regards to the actual source code and bloat when it comes to adding files (stylesheet & js files) to pages the plugin doesn’t even live on.
Sure, there are tons of examples on optimizing some of these plugins, including my tutorial for users of Contact Form 7, but it was time I built my own solution.
See it in action on my contact page.
- Contact form only includes 3 input fields. Name, email address and message
- HTML5 input fields and validation on both client and server
- Includes a honeypot feature. I’m no expert, but it seems to be working
- Add a shortcode to a page, post or widget and you’ll have a shiny new contact form
- Settings page with 3 options. Subject of email, send to email address and a thank you message
- Go to GitHub and download plugin
- Go to your WordPress website admin panel
- Select Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin
- Select Browse > locate on your computer the file “ez-cform-master.zip” > Click Open > Install Now
- Click Activate Plugin
- Go to ‘Settings’ in the plugin screen or look under Settings > EZ Contact and fill out the form
Fork the Plugin
Features you might want to add to my EZ Cform plugin include:
- Send user to a thank you page
- Ability to add more input fields
- Ability to SMS the content of the email
- Integrate some sort of captcha